Monday, February 4, 2013

Jewelry mirror

Today I was feeling like I had to let the creative juices flow. I've had the STAVE hinged wall mirror from IKEA for a few years, and at a previous apartment I had put pushpins in the wall behind it for jewelry. Well seeing as how I move constantly, I decided it would be more beneficial for me to install more permanent and more aesthetically pleasing hooks to the back of the mirror! Hence my first bloggable project :)
STAVE mirror, IKEA $39.99
So I decided to line the back with a black suede fabric to cover the plain white backing. And conveniently enough, I had some extra fabric just laying around! To prepare, I painted the raw wood support slats black and then painted around the perimeter just in case my fabric placement wasn't perfect.

I attached the fabric with spray adhesive, and smoothed out any air bubbles with my hands.
I found wooden rods from Hobby Lobby (the Hob) and a fun metallic paint color to make them pop against the black suede! I cut them with my handy dandy saw kit from IKEA.
The search for hooks went on for awhile, and I finally found a set of 100 from Home Depot for like $5. I measured and predrilled holes in the rods so that I wouldn't kill my hands when I twisted the hooks in. I made the earring and necklace hooks 2 inches apart, and I made one row 3 inches apart for bracelets. I scored the sides of the mirror with a white pencil and glued the rods on with plain old Elmer's glue-all. 

Here's the finished product! I'll take a nicer picture once I move and get it hung!


No comments:

Post a Comment